We still have plenty of cold weather to go. This will warm everybody up.
There aren’t many things in our kitchen that I love more than my springform pan. Whether it’s a layered dessert, quiche or this little number, it just makes everything look better.
Right next to my springform pan is the frozen puffed pastry sheet. If you don’t have time to make your own crust and want something to jazz up the presentation a little, whoever invented these ought to get a medal. I’ll try them with anything.
Which brings us to to this chicken pot pie. First attempt, too.
I will be making this again — and according to Madi and Fiona, exactly like this.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 egg, beaten
2 frozen puffed pastry sheets
1/4 cup of butter
1/3 cup of chopped onion
1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of half & half
1 cup of chicken broth
2 cups of chicken, cooked and cubed
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of diced potatoes
1/2 cup of sweet peas
How To Make It:
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Thaw pastry sheet according to directions.
- Dice potatoes and carrots, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt.
- Place together in microwavable container and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Pre-cook chicken tenderloins to done. Cube, cover with foil, and set aside.
- Using the same simmering pan or pot in which you cooked the chicken, stir in butter and onions.
- Saute onions until tender. Add flour, half & half, and chicken broth, and stir until thickened.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables, and sweet peas. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Press one puffed pastry sheet into and up the sides of a lightly oiled 9-inch glass pie or spring-form pan.
- Pour the filling into the pan.
- Brush the edges of the crust with beaten egg and cover with the second pastry sheet, pressing the edges of the pastry sheets together.
- Trim the excess, and vent the second pastry sheet with a sharp knife.
- Bake on center rack for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, cover edges with foil to prevent over-browning and return to oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove, cool a few minutes and serve!